Kalakand is a popular Indian subcontinent sweet made with sweetened, solidefied milk. Traditionally cooked for hours in ghee and made with fresh milk, it is slow cooked until milk reduces and turns into sweet, solid milk curdles.
Here I am sharing a simple, quick cooking microwave method shared by my cousin. You need 5 ingredients including the garnish.
The ingredients are simple. Condensed milk, milk powder, a dash of salt, heavy cream, green cardamom pods, and nuts for garnish.
Take the seeds out of the cardamom and make a powder. Combine all the ingredients together in a microwave safe dish. Adding a dash of salt to your dessert enhances the sweetness.
At this point place the dish in the microwave covered for 1 min and 30 seconds on high. Once you remove it from the the microwave the mixture will have thickened. Mix it well with a spoon making sure to scrape the sides. Place it back in the microwave.
Keep repeating the process until your mixture starts to look like a paste, and the milk curdles start to form.
At this point your kalakand is ready. Set it in the tray one last time and cook on high for 15 seconds. Remove from the microwave and garnish with nuts. Let is set for 2 hours before cutting it into squares. Enjoy!!
I hope you guys enjoyed this recipe. Please don’t forget to subscribe to my blog, follow me on my instagram https://www.instagram.com/flavoredbyfatima/ and subscribe to my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/fmaniya
- 1 ½ cup Powder milk full fat (Fortified Nida)
- ½ can Condensed milk
- ¾ cup Heavy cream
- 3-4 Pods Green cardamom seeds (powdered)
- Dash of salt
- Almonds for garnish
- Pistachios for garnish
- In a microwave safe dish combine all the ingredients except the nuts.
- Cook on high for 1½ mins until the liquid starts to absorb the milk.
- Keep cooking in intervals of 30 seconds until the the mixture keeps getting thicker and you start to see curdles. At this point your kalakand is ready . Set it the tray and cook for 15 seconds on high. Garnish with nuts and let it cool for at least 2 hours.
- cut it in squares, decorate with silver and golden edible foil and enjoy!